Don’t Add Water to a Grease Fire

Yesterday the Eden Prairie Fire Department responded to a cooking fire at an Extended Stay America hotel in Eden Prairie.

The occupant was making popcorn and a fire started when the oil became too hot on the stove. The small grease fire would have likely been contained by putting a lid on the pan. Instead, the occupant moved the pan to the sink and added water, which accelerated the fire. Fortunately, the occupant didn’t suffer any injuries.

As you may know, water and oil don’t mix. When you add water to hot oil, it causes the oil to sputter. When you add water to burning oil, the oil separates and creates a fire ball. This picture shows damage above the sink in the hotel room caused by a fire ball.

If you are cooking with grease or oil, please have a lid close by. And if you have a grease fire, put a lid over the fire and smother it. Do not add water!

To see what it looks like when water is added to a grease fire, check out this video demonstration conducted by the St. Paul Fire Department.

Eden Prairie Fire Celebrates 50 Years

The Eden Prairie Fire Department is celebrating 50 years of neighbors serving neighbors throughout 2017.

Prior to 1967, fire services in Eden Prairie were provided by the nearby communities of Hopkins, Excelsior and Shakopee. The Fire Department continues to work alongside neighboring communities in training and emergency events to this day.

Eden Prairie’s Fire Department was founded with 20 charter members and a 1,000-gallon tanker pumper donated by the Eden Prairie Lions Club. Today, the Fire Department employs nine full-time and 95 part-time firefighters who all reside in or near Eden Prairie.

It has always been important to have a neighbors-serving-neighbors approach. This is our community, we enjoy its amenities, our kids attend schools here and we’re helping our community one call at a time.

Learn more about our 50th celebration in the Eden Prairie News and stay tuned for 50th-anniversary celebration events over the next several months.

Interesting Rescue

When you have an emergency, you call 9-1-1; everyone knows that. But, what do you do when your child gets her legs stuck in a small metal container?

A few weeks ago, the Eden Prairie Fire Department responded to find a small child whose legs were trapped in a metal pot she had been playing with. The responding crew kept the child calm and carefully cut away the container in a manner that didn’t cause injury.

The Fire Department trains for many different types of emergencies, but this situation was a first, and definitely worthy of a 9-1-1 call.

 

Interested in Serving Your Community?

The Eden Prairie Fire Department is looking for new recruits to join our duty crews.

If you have the heart to serve your community, you have everything we need.

Learn more at edenprairie.org/employment and plan to drop in the recruitment open house between 5 and 7 p.m. March 15 at Fire Station 1, 14800 Scenic Heights Road.

Smoking Material Fire

First-arriving fire conditions

For Eden Prairie firefighters, the month of March quickly became active when they were called to a structure fire just before 8 a.m. March 1.

Duty crews quickly arrived to an unoccupied duplex heavily involved in fire. Firefighters were able to extinguish a majority of the fire from the exterior and then made entry to the interior.

The point of origin where a cigarette burned into the deck

It has been determined that this fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials. If you or someone in your home smokes, make sure you are extinguishing smoking materials completely before discarding them. Ideally, you should use a metal container with water or sand. It is amazing to witness the destruction one cigarette can cause.

 

The Eden Prairie Fire Department received first-alarm assistance on this structure fire from Edina, Minnetonka, St. Louis Park and Excelsior fire departments.