Smoking Material Fire

First-arriving fire conditions

For Eden Prairie firefighters, the month of March quickly became active when they were called to a structure fire just before 8 a.m. March 1.

Duty crews quickly arrived to an unoccupied duplex heavily involved in fire. Firefighters were able to extinguish a majority of the fire from the exterior and then made entry to the interior.

The point of origin where a cigarette burned into the deck

It has been determined that this fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials. If you or someone in your home smokes, make sure you are extinguishing smoking materials completely before discarding them. Ideally, you should use a metal container with water or sand. It is amazing to witness the destruction one cigarette can cause.

 

The Eden Prairie Fire Department received first-alarm assistance on this structure fire from Edina, Minnetonka, St. Louis Park and Excelsior fire departments.